Tutorials

Sunday 25 July 2021

Cricut Iron-on Vinyl vs Permanent Vinyl on upcycled glass bottles

Hi there Creative Friends!

have  been playing around with the Cricut Permanent Vinyl and the Iron-on vinyl on recycled glass bottles to see which of the 2 mediums works best on up-cycled glass bottles. 


Olive Oil and Vinegar Set

Cricut Permanent Holographic Vinyl on up-cycled glass bottles as party favours!


The text for both projects were created in Design Space. I chose the Bordeaux Com Font. I quite like that font. 

The Iron-on vinyl words were cut out with "mirror" switched on.






Weeding the vinyl is an absolute pleasure with the Cricut weeding tool. Cricut really think of everything to make a crafter's life easy.

My text was weeded in no time under the watchful eye of my Cricut Cutie!


I secured the words on the bottles with heat-tape. If you don't, the words may move and leave a shadow, and spoil your project.


I used a small heat press to iron the letters onto the glass. I thought I may struggle because of the curvature of the glass bottle, but it was fast and easy.





I gently pulled the plastic away and the results were amazing! Perfect and so professional. I'm so proud of my creation!






The permanent vinyl names for the glass bottles were designed in the same way but not cut with the "mirror" switch on. For this project I chose the "Adreena Script Demo" font. I transferred the words to the bottles using the Cricut Transfer Tape, fast and easy!

To conclude: 

Both results were perfect. Time will tell how it will respond to being handled and washed. I will have to report back after some time.

The Iron-on vinyl is obviously meant for surfaces that can handle the heat, like fabric, caps, shoes, leather, maybe books, etc. The permanent vinyl works well on hard, non-poreus and shiny surfaces. 

In the mean time, I have 8 very happy party goers, and I have 2 old salad dressing bottles converted into a Olive Oil and Vinegar set for my patio table! What a pleasure!

I hope this leaves you inspired to experiment with different kinds of vinylk. Feel free to leave a comment below or share your projects. I would love to see what you make with your Cricut!

Hugs
Ezme




No comments:

Post a Comment