Tutorials

Monday 19 July 2021

Creative Play with Cricut and Iron-on Vinyl

Hi there Creative Friends and "Cricuteers"!

I'm sure you have been wondering what I was up to after I received my Cricut Explore Air 2 and the amazing box full of Cricut stuff!

Well, it has been interesting to say the least. I was immediately intrigued by the "Iron-on Vinyl" and started to customise all my husbands T-shirts with "Mr. H"! (To his amusement). I wanted to test the waters as I have not done any of it before. 

I was used to the software of a different brand of cutting machine and it took a bit of time to get used to Design Space. But Design Space is very easy to negotiate your way around and in no time I created my images that I wanted to iron onto my husbands T-shirts. I played around with the font, stretched it, and moved it around, just having fun with the software. 

(The alignment is a little out, I blame it on being too excited!)



There are so many Fonts to choose from, I think I spend at least an half an hour selecting the font! Eventually I decided on this one: "Decorate 035 Std Regular". I thought it complimented the "Mr. H" feel! What do you think?


It is important to remember to cut the mirror image of whatever you are going to iron onto the T-shirt. When you choose the material the software reminds you to cut the mirror image. A very good feature because if you are like me, you might forget to tick that block in the heat of the excitement!


You can use an ordinary iron to transfer the image to the T-shirt if you don't have a heat press, and you can get all the settings on Cricut website. It is super easy! I had some epic fails too, more about that later! very important is to use a lint roller to lift dust an lint particles from the fabric before you iron the design on. Also invest in some heat tape to keep the design in place or you will definitely have "ghosting". That is when the design moves slightly and creates a little shadow. This could ruin your project.

My husbands's birthday normally falls close to "Fathers Day", so I created this T-shirt for him. He loves it! 



Here is a little video of this process. Enjoy.




And if you get stuck, help is near! Just contact "Cricut Member Care"!


The Cricut Iron-On was super easy to use. And I was really surprised at the beautiful and professional finish. I could barely belief I did it myself.

I will regularly share my Cricut projects here and on Social Media. I hope you will share my Cricut creative journey with me. 

Feel free to comment or ask questions. I will try to answer or refer you if I can't.

Till next time, happy creative play!

Ezmé









 


No comments:

Post a Comment